Interesting Ruin Generation

I thought it could be fun to make a thread where people could post cool ruins that they have found!
Bonus points if the generation is a little abnormal or strange.

Starting this because of this lovely cliffside ruin that I found:
2024-06-13_17-57-40.thumb.png.02b3403cb81bf835b8b1d65471a17ddf.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Not exactly interesting.  But this was definitely a nope room!

This to me looks like the laundry ruin. Mine across to the right of the wall facing you in the screenshot, and then dig out the lower block of cobble three blocks to the right of the door. This should let you access the only chest inside without worry of locusts!

This is one of my favourite ruins to find, since I love hunting for clothing. That chest always has some good clothes and clutter in it!

guide.png.4d66b4c0636ff0ec8c34755cc7cc1a1e.png
I do not accept responsibility for locust horde infestation if the chest was one block to the left of the marked block.

Edited by ifoz
  • Amazing! 1

31 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Wow. Have you excavated all the ruins?

I'm pretty sure!
I like hunting for clutter and clothing, so I may have spent a little too much time ruin hunting. 😅

I'm almost certain that I've seen every single ruin that the vanilla game as to offer. :D 

• Amazing! 1

That's amazing! I see some cobble sticking up, and with very few exceptions, I don't recognize it as even something I've ever seen before, let alone what kind of vessels it has. I had most of the old ruins more or less figured out, but none of the new.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

That's amazing! I see some cobble sticking up, and with very few exceptions, I don't recognize it as even something I've ever seen before, let alone what kind of vessels it has. I had most of the old ruins more or less figured out, but none of the new.

Thanks! :D
I have limited experience with the old ruins, though my first ever world did have them. I was just anxious to go caving as I was a new player back then.
By the time I was confident enough to go caving, the new ruins had just come out.

I recognise most surface ruins, and am pretty sure I have been to them all, but I am almost certain that I have seen every type of underground ruin and know where their hidden treasure stashes are. Stuff like the large crypt ruin's waterfall hiding a treasure room, or the big locust shelter having a room of loot if you dig through a certain wall.

Edited by ifoz

1 hour ago, ifoz said:

I recognise most surface ruins, and am pretty sure I have been to them all, but I am almost certain that I have seen every type of underground ruin and know where their hidden treasure stashes are. Stuff like the large crypt ruin's waterfall hiding a treasure room, or the big locust shelter having a room of loot if you dig through a certain wall.

Waaaaaaaaaait a minute... *squints suspiciously*

Indiana Jones, is that you?!

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I think you guys should also know that (on the topic of hidden treasure) the Blackguard ruin that looks like a barracks with the two sets of four-high bunk beds has some hidden loot too. Under the bottom bunk on the left side is a pair of Blackguard shoes, a parallel transfer vessel, a jug and a metal scrap.

The large crypt ruin has a hidden treasure room if you dig through the ceiling to follow it's waterfall. The coffins also hide chests but that is easier to figure out.

The "large locust shelter" (as I call it) with the two floors has a hidden vault behind the metal barrels on the top floor. Just dig around in the walls in the top floor room, you'll find it. It will always have some bountiful gold and silver chunks in a display case, a ruined claymore, an ornate silver spear, two gold treasure chests (one aged, one not aged) and an oxblood storage vessel.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

I dunno how interesting it actually is, but I found a Curvy Bone Joe tomb hogging the entrance to a cave like a stone igloo. Most ruins I've seen typically have recessed entrances.

I've seen them generate backwards, so that the entrance is in a walled-off part of the cave.
They make big ol' blobs in cave walls.

@Maelstrom I found another of those laundry ruins today, can confirm that my diagram was accurate.
Here's some screenshots of both how to obtain the chest without worry of locusts, and of the kinds of loot you can expect to see! :)

2024-06-19_18-16-49.thumb.png.51eadc637d482fdf32e8b8a244d7a92a.png
Hopefully you can see where I have dug out to get to the chest, though it is a little dark!

2024-06-19_18-17-15.thumb.png.9d06366b92130d01fb70422e826ebd02.png
Here's my haul of goodies from said chest, looks like I got rather lucky this time!

• Like 1
  • Mind=blown 1

Seems to me if you put down a fencepost in front of the block you are going to remove, that ought to be safe. Though what do I know? It never occurred to me to do anything but brute force. This mining through the walls thing smacks of sorcery!

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Seems to me if you put down a fencepost in front of the block you are going to remove, that ought to be safe. Though what do I know? It never occurred to me to do anything but brute force. This mining through the walls thing smacks of sorcery!

With this specific ruin and configuration, the chest will block the locusts from coming through.
Still, the fence post sounds like a good idea for digging through any other ruins!

Digging through the walls is what led me to the discovery of the 'large locust shelter' treasure vault in the first place! :D
It's sometimes much wiser than trying to brute force your way into a locust-infested ruin, especially if you don't have armour.

5 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

How do you guys get your screenshots to look decent? I tried converting to jpg with Paint, and I thought it was OK, but it was much darker, and had too many artifacts.

I just import them here straight from where they are saved into my pictures folder.
Though, if I intend to crop them, I run them through Paint.net to do so, and then save them as .png's for less compression artefacts.
Granted, this makes them a little bit larger in file size than if they were .jpeg's, but I think that personally it's worth it for the superior quality of a .png.

• Like 1

Thanks!

So do you just delete older pics as you need space here? I guess I could just pull the .png across, but not a huge fan of having dead references in the future. Though I suppose the image services are no guarantee, either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ifoz said:

I just import them here straight from where they are saved into my pictures folder.

This is what I do as well. Find it in the folder and then dump it into whatever post I'm writing. Sometimes it's not even an actual screenshot--it's just a piece of the screen I clipped with the clipping tool and then copy-pasted.

I'd also say it somewhat depends on what the purpose of the screenshot is. If it's to showcase a build and I really want it to look extra fancy, then I might set up the shot I want, pause, and go into the settings to crank the graphics up as high as they'll go without breaking something. You don't really need a framerate if you're just taking a picture, after all. 😆

30 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

So do you just delete older pics as you need space here? I guess I could just pull the .png across, but not a huge fan of having dead references in the future. Though I suppose the image services are no guarantee, either...

You'll need to, yeah, both on your PC(no use in keeping around files you no longer need) and on the forums. If you don't clean out your Attachments on your forum profile every once in a while, it'll stop you from posting more pictures until you clear out some space.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

How do you guys get your screenshots to look decent? I tried converting to jpg with Paint, and I thought it was OK, but it was much darker, and had too many artifacts.

I just open up the image in whatever default thing my 'puter has, save as .jpg.

52 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I just open up the image in whatever default thing my 'puter has, save as .jpg.

Hmm. That's what I did. Wonder if maybe the default compression was set too high...

Think I'll try just using a cropped PNG for now. Figure out what settings work later.

7 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Are you sure you're not playing modded TOBG?  That looks like one of them floating mineshaft thingys.

Looks to me like it could be a translocator viewed from below.
I've seen this happen before, a cave roof randomly has aged wooden planks and it's from a translocator located in a tunnel just above! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.