Tin VS Bismuth, what bronze pickaxe do you prefer to use?

Tin VS bismuth, which bronze to you prefer for your pickaxe?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Tin VS Bismuth, what bronze pickaxe do you prefer to use?

• Tin
    • Bismuth

Bismuth. Uses less copper, which is needed for other stuff. (Chutes, hoppers, and distilleries are exclusively copper.)

I like to use molybdochalkos lanterns. Even less copper, and has that classic black color.

Edited by Bumber
  • Like 1

Tin, same reason as @ifoz. A single small deposit of tin is all you need to get to iron, and I'm slowly breaking the habit of over-mining copper. I never have a reason for more than a few hundred ingots of copper, though I often have stacks of ingots and plates and a substantial amount of ore left over at end of game.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 2

I'm with @ifoz--black bronze because it's cool 😎 Plus it only takes a couple of gold and silver nuggets(which I get fairly easily from panning) to cast a black bronze pick, and using those nuggets up not only gives me a cooler, more durable pick to use but also frees up some storage space.

Now in regards to casting an anvil...I'm not about to use black bronze for that! 🤣 That'll be either tin bronze or bismuth bronze, whichever is easier to get my hands on in that particular world. And realistically, most of the time my bronze pick will be whichever of those is most convenient as well. Now in regards to which one I'd rather have--I voted for bismuth bronze, purely for the bismuth part. I like making lanterns out of pure bismuth since they're the prettiest color.

• Like 1

which ever ore I find first(?)

really interested in uncovering iron as soon as possible, hopefully the bronze age is rather quick.  

Though just now I'm wondering, which tools gain the most value from a trader when selling/trading them for rusty gears....

though I never really find gold and silver in abundance, i do like the way black bronze looks

15 hours ago, idiomcritter said:

Though just now I'm wondering, which tools gain the most value from a trader when selling/trading them for rusty gears....

Falx blades have the most value, when it comes to metal tools you can sell. They cost the same as other tools, can be cast instead of forged, and sell for one gear more than picks.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ifoz said:

Usually tin for ease of obtaining, though if I had the resources, why not go for black bronze?
Lasts longer, is slightly better and looks cooler! :D

Because we all know Black bronze is better in every way, whereas tin and bismuth have trade offs.

whichever one i find first. in my current world i went the bismuth route because i found bismuth and zinc wayyyy before i found tin. best read i could get for tin was decent and the place i was digging had high sphalerite and bismuth so that's how that went down. if i could, i would go tin though. it's just less of a pain to smelt and it's less expensive if you find a decent vein of tin. but it's interesting to note that while bismuth bronze tools are less effective, they're more durable. if anyone even cares about that lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.