Continent separate by ocean?

Mesrune

Hello!

My question might seems weird, but, is there a possibility to have big continent surrounded by water in vanilla?

I tried some adjustment with «landcover», «landcover scale» and «landform scale» options, and, in all my test, ocean were always surrounded by land.

The only time they're not, is when «small» islands are generated...

Edited by Mesrune

Those are the three variables that will determine how much land vs. water will be created.  I don't know what kind of parameters to use for them to get what you're looking for.  So, either keep adjusting those numbers or hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help.

I think I turned the Landcover option down to 70% or so for a few worlds and got something similar to continents. It was all still connected in pangea fashion, but there were at least decent oceans to help spread out the land chunks a bit more. You might be able to fine-tune it a bit more, but I wouldn't go much further under that value or you're likely to get islands. I could be wrong though--I've not really tried to get islands or continents as I don't use ship mods and there isn't much for water travel in the vanilla game.

7 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

I think I turned the Landcover option down to 70% or so for a few worlds and got something similar to continents. It was all still connected in pangea fashion, but there were at least decent oceans to help spread out the land chunks a bit more. You might be able to fine-tune it a bit more, but I wouldn't go much further under that value or you're likely to get islands. I could be wrong though--I've not really tried to get islands or continents as I don't use ship mods and there isn't much for water travel in the vanilla game.

In all my test, that looked like that. Big ocean, more than 4k blocks of length, but always surrounded by lands. That's quite hard to figure how the generation option work, exactly. And most of the mods who change, or alter, the generation, don't touch the water or, worst, reduce it.
I hope for the next update, the dev' will look for this. If it's not vanilla already, of course. With the boat they plan to add in the next update, that will be a wonderful experience!

I wonder if creating amore realistic continent generation might be in the works as the update is based on forcing exploration and providing expanded travel options to make extended exploration more likely.  Based on the teasers Tryon has put in Discord, it seems like mounts and sailing are probably pretty much done and there's still 3-5 months before his projection of 1.20 starts dropping.   Hopefully some of that time will be spent on refining the new generation settings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.