Better bread making

Okay so first, this is my first post, been playing for a month and loving it. so, Hello!

second, this is a bit of a minor idea that can probably be made into a mod easily enough, but i'm not sure if it exists yet and if it does feel free to tell me.

So recently IRL i've been trying to get into making bread, and one thing i've been hyperfixating on is sourdough bread. And anyone that knows anything about this knows that this is how leavened bread was made thousands of years ago, effectively the first use of a leavening agent to make bread. I was playing and was making a stack of bread for a journey to a trader and as i was mixing the flour and water to make dough and then pop it in the oven to watch it rise i was thinking...."wow, this is kind of silly actually. this wouldn't happen in real life".

So here's my suggestion. Rename the current bread we have as unleavened bread, and to make leavened bread we need to make a leavening agent. and to do that IRL it's pretty simple. mix equal parts flour and water, let it sit in a container and repeat daily for about two weeks and voila (it's more complicated than this actually but it would be really dumb to add these complications to the game), mix that with your dough and boom your bread is airy and light now. We already have a perfect system in game right now for this: Barrels. Of course, there needs to be a reason to make unleavened bread over leavened bread in the first place and vice versa. so maybe unleavened bread can perish slower and leavened bread although perishing faster has more satiation per loaf. and maybe it could be that i don't know, 1L of starter per dough makes leavened dough, and it can be transferred with a bucket or a bowl or whatever we already use for liquids. (this is WAY too much in real life but for gameplays sake it would make it easier).

Obviously, this is a small thing that wouldn't add a whole lot to the base game and i'd prefer other things get added/overhauled before these types of small details are implemented. but i'm just throwing it out there

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Welcome, @PickleinThahouse!  

I am pretty sure bread is a part of Expanded Foods.

I like this idea. But to make things just a bit more convenient, use leavening at 0.1 l. That way, 10 flour, 1 bucket of water and 1 bowl of leavening makes 10 dough.

yeah that would definitely make it to where you don't have to make so much. thanks for the input and the welcome 😁. EDIT: you aren't vintarian, we're all called that apparently lol, woops

Edited by PickleinThahouse

Welcome! I like this idea too, and I'd wager you could potentially simplify it a bit(if need be) by setting fresh dough out for a bit in a warm spot to rise.

35 minutes ago, PickleinThahouse said:

Of course, there needs to be a reason to make unleavened bread over leavened bread in the first place and vice versa. so maybe unleavened bread can perish slower and leavened bread although perishing faster has more satiation per loaf.

Unleavened bread could be made on a campfire. That way for a really long expedition you could just pack the flour along with you and turn it into fresh bread as needed, if you didn't want to just bake it beforehand. You could also allow it to have more units per stack, so that more can be carried or stored in a supply cache. As a bonus, you could also have a way to get flour pre-quern, perhaps by smashing grain with a rock against a hard stone surface or combining with a rock in the crafting grid. Then you have a basic bread that you can craft very early on to help satisfy the grain nutrition, without the need to have picked out a spot to settle down. It'd probably also be a great option early game if you were doing some sort of vegetarian challenge.

For the fluffy loaves, you could take the satiation boost a bit further by allowing the loaves to be sliced with a knife and used to make sandwiches. Pair with some cured/cooked meat and/or vegetables or cheese, and you have a great meal option. It also gives you a reason to take fluffy bread with you on the start of a long trip before switching to unleavened bread later.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Teslov said:

I'm just gonna leave this lil' article here for reference 😉
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podpłomyk

You won't believe how tasty these are with some bear's garlic.

Promoting ancient Polish cuisine aside, adding these with ability to slap random stuff on them and cook in campfire would be awesome for early-game or nomad runs.

Great, now I want salo...

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:37 PM, PickleinThahouse said:

you aren't vintarian, we're all called that apparently lol, woops

There are some called Very Important Vintarians who have donated money directly to the dev team apart from purchasing the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.