Lead early game tools- mod commissions?

A mod request (In a way)
Currently lead has way too little use early game, so I figured itd be nice to use them in place of copper if you find them in bulks early game.
Basically everything that could be done with copper: lead tools, chisels, arrowheads, anvils. (maybe except armor, that seems like some work)
If it feels too off-lore maybe make use of molybdochalkos(the 1 copper 9 lead alloy) instead, or both 

If someone is interested to cook up something like that im willing to commission it for like 40 usd+ (not as a personal mod, just upload it on the workshop for everyone)
Thanks

Lead tools? It doesn't lead to anywhere.

But tin+lead+copper can be used as pewter alloy, to make some tablewares or artisan creations.

I also hope, that in future there will be more items to be soldered, thus lead will be much more in use.

On 7/20/2024 at 12:21 PM, xXx_Ape_xXx said:

Considering how malleable and soft lead is, it wouldn't make much sense to make tools from it. Maybe other stuff, but tools?

Drinking vessels would be a good idea (-0,1 HP/h).

A lead club might make sense I guess?

On 7/19/2024 at 8:22 PM, Bada said:

Currently lead has way too little use early game, so I figured itd be nice to use them in place of copper if you find them in bulks early game.
Basically everything that could be done with copper: lead tools, chisels, arrowheads, anvils. (maybe except armor, that seems like some work)
If it feels too off-lore maybe make use of molybdochalkos(the 1 copper 9 lead alloy) instead, or both

Note, I am not a metallurgist or smith.

Lead generally can't be used as tool-metal because of how incredibly soft it is. It depends on the hardness scale we're talking about but in simple terms, copper is about twice as hard as lead, hopefully demonstrating why lead isn't really usable as a primitive tool-metal, considering copper is already pretty soft. If you were to throw lead at a piece of hard oak, the lead would likely be weaker than the oak and get mushed up. You may as well think of lead as metal putty now. It's so soft that you can change its shape by hand.

I mean, the game does let us make gold metal stuff, which is a slightly odd notion; gold is not as soft as lead, but it's pretty rare by comparison and still not quite as hard as copper. A gold-lead alloy would be harder than pure lead, but it would be a gold-dense alloy rather than lead-dense, so... Not very economical unless you were swimming in gold and had a bit of lead.

That said, you could probably use pure lead for arrow "points" (lead has been used as bullets for example).

If you really wanted tools out of a lead base while on the side of realism, I would start a guess with a lead-tin-zinc alloy (with antimony if it existed in the game). Mind, I don't know how good a tool-metal this would make, very likely still not as good as copper, or at least not good enough for it to make "economic sense" in-game, since copper tools only need one metal, and for this alloy you'd need three metals to alloy with.

It could also be a lead-copper-zinc alloy, which would be a kind of brass... Brass isn't as hard bronze but it would probably work "okay" as a primitive tool-metal. I don't know a lot about lead alloys and the only lead bronze I can think of would be copper-tin-zinc-lead.

Molybchalkos has never had much use even in reality, so far as I know. Not sure why it's included in the game. At a guess, its primary use would be for machining and possibly to make moulds for casting other parts with.

---

On 7/19/2024 at 8:22 PM, Bada said:

If someone is interested to cook up something like that im willing to commission it for like 40 usd+ (not as a personal mod, just upload it on the workshop for everyone)
Thanks

Now, with all that stuff out of the way. This is a game and mods we're talking about after all, if you REALLY want a mod adding pure lead/molybdchalkos tools, I could probably do this with a few patches if you still want such a mod.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.