Modular Beds?

Separate beds into mattresses and the base (platform?). A bed can be made of hay bales currently for the hay bed, but you could also make another bed out of linen (or some other material), both of which can be placed on the ground. Later on when you get a saw, you could make a base for the bed which can be different shapes. Placing the bed on the the bed base would give better sleep, better health regeneration etc. I apologize if this isn't explained well.

• Like 5

so we'd have bed frame and bedding?

linen bedding could be good in warmer climates / summer, while bedding made from linen/wool and feathers would be better for colder climates / winter? with the hay mattress being the baseline bedding being as bad as the worst option for any climate / season.

that could open up dyeing the bedding too, and having bed variants for all the wood types. But it would mean we'd need several new assets, including possibly models.
If we'd get this I'd say let modders handle the variants and dyeing, creating the bed frame model and the bedding model is already some work. I wouldn't mind a seperate stored futon model/texture (size approx. 1x0.5x1, stackable) for storing bedding, but again that's work that could be done at a later date or by modders for the likely minority interested in it.

the wooden bed frame would likely just be a wooden box on feet (something between large through and wooden bed), the aged wooden bed frame imo should be similar to a rope bed. both would share the model but the aged bed frame would use a partially transparent texture for the spaces between the ropes. The bedding model would likely be something between hay mattress and wooden bed, reusing most of the current texture for the wooden bed.

finding a aged wooden bed might then unlock the rope bed recipe to craft more of it (possibly with wood variants).

for the recipes I'd suggest:

wooden bed frame adds 1 hour of sleep

saw         xxx           xxx
xxx           xxx          xxx
2planks   2planks   2planks

rope bed adds 1.5 hours of sleep

saw         xxx       xxx
2ropes    rope     2ropes
2planks   plank   2planks

Hay mattress as is (good for the default 7 hours of sleep)

Hay mattress with blanket (good for 7.5 hours of sleep)

linen   xxx    xxx
hay     hay   hay
xxx     xxx    xxx
basically the current wooden bed without the bed frame uses the bedding model

summer bedding / summer futon (good for 8 hours of sleep +1hour for when the room/environment is above 20°C)

linen    xxx     xxx
filling   filling   filling
linen    xxx     xxx
allowed fillings are 8 flax fibers each, 1 wool each (if sheep or something similar can be shorn at some point) or 4 feathers each

winter bedding / winter futon (good for 8 hours of sleep -1hour for when the room/environment is above 20°C, protects from freezing while sleeping, can be used to counteract the hypothermia effect)

linen      xxx       xxx
filling     2filling   filling
2linen    xxx       xxx
allowed fillings are 8 flax fibers each, 1 wool each or 4 feathers each

thus sleeping times would range from 7 hours in hot environments on the winter futon without bed frame or anywhere on just the hay mattress up to 10.5 hours in hot environments on a combination of summer bedding and rope bed. with the best sleeping options being locked behind exploration (aged wooden bed), hunting, husbandry and/or farming (for flax, feathers and/or wool).

what would be needed to implement this?
3+optional1 models (only 1+optional1 fully new): 1 for the bed frames, 1 for the beddings without frame, 1 for bed frame plus hay mattress (reuses most of the wooden bed model, just shave of the pillow), optionally 1 for the folded bedding to store it, wooden bed frame with bedding would reuse the wooden bed model
4+optional1 textures (mostly reworks, the optionally is completely new): hay mattress with blanket just combines the hay mattress texture and the pillow from the wooden bed texture, beddings would mostly reuse the wooden bed texture (a simple bottom texture should suffice), the bed frames would need the most texture work, optionally 1 for folded bedding
the optional unlock of the rope bed recipe
maybe a vanilla way to obtain more textile materials, like wool, silk, ... but there are mods doing that already.

Obviously this suggestion is not necessary for the game right now. Thus we should ask: of all this work what can't be done by modders / is necessary for modders to fully implement this idea? i think only the optional unlock for the recipe (similar to story unlocks) would be required for modders to take this idea and implement it how they see fit as i can't recall any recipe not unlocked right from the start. everything else should be well inside the capabilities of the modders that implement new models.

rope bed example.jpg

folded futon.jpg

• Like 1

@Hal13 Wow, thank you for replying and explaining this much better than I could. I agree this would be a lot of work. I would help with the modding side if I knew how to mod. I also agree that it might be a minority of people interested in this. I believe it would add more immersion/realism to the game. (And yes bed frame, don't know why my brain said platform).

Alternately: keep the hay bed as the default, and the only bed-and-mattress-in-one item.

The wooden bed and aged wooden beds are replaced instead by bed frames; you could have a few options to pick from here: basic, fancy, double/bunk(only available from furniture traders), and antique(only found in ruins). To be able to sleep on them, you'll need to equip them with some sort of bedding.

Bedding: The hay bed is the easiest bedding to acquire, but is also the least comfortable to sleep on. Adding linen sheets and pillows makes it more comfortable to sleep in, letting you sleep for an hour longer. Feather bedding is the most comfortable, allowing the player to sleep an additional two hours, but requires more linen and many feathers to craft. For an alternate basic bedding option, you could throw a couple of larger pelts together to make a fur bedroll, giving the same sleep option as the hay bed.

You can change the color of linen bedding at any time using a bolt of colored linen. Likewise, you can throw a large or huge pelt over the bedding to change the bed type to fur instead.

2 hours ago, Hal13 said:

linen bedding could be good in warmer climates / summer, while bedding made from linen/wool and feathers would be better for colder climates / winter? with the hay mattress being the baseline bedding being as bad as the worst option for any climate / season.

I do like this idea as well. I'd expect linen or other light fabric to add an extra hour of rest in hot weather, while potentially losing an hour of rest in cold weather. Likewise, covering your bedding with furs would probably add an additional hour or two of sleep time in cold weather, but lose an hour or so of sleep in hot weather.

In regards to fur bedrolls, these would be optimal choices for camping in cold environments. Hay beds have a slight advantage in that they're easy to make as long as there is grass to harvest, and a better advantage for camping in hot environments as they don't hold as much heat in.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.