1- Chiseling: Furniture / 2- More realistic inventory.

Matero

Beautiful people, nice to meet you all, I've been thinking about this idea/proposal for a while now and I'd like to submit it to your opinions and appreciations.

1- Chiseling: Furniture, Decorations, Nailed together.
When we build a chair, a table, a piece of furniture or simply sculpt a piece of art, it will remain divided into its blocks.

My idea/proposal is to join them, with nails and a hammer, to be able to separate them, recovering the nails perhaps, in this way moving/selling a chair would be more realistic. Even limiting it to a volume of blocks, so as not to "move" an entire building in the inventory.

I attach these simple but beautiful creations that I found: 

2- More realistic inventory.
This brings me to the second idea, a more realistic inventory where the weight and quantity of things are a little more in line with reality, without being tedious but less arcade-like.
Your rules could be:
-Weights
-Quantities
-Volume of the object

>Stack reduction
>Total weight limit
>Tetris style inventory

Example: 

You can add your proposals based on this topic. Thank you for reading.

• Like 2

Hello to you as well!

2 hours ago, Matero said:

My idea/proposal is to join them, with nails and a hammer, to be able to separate them, recovering the nails perhaps, in this way moving/selling a chair would be more realistic. Even limiting it to a volume of blocks, so as not to "move" an entire building in the inventory.

I love it, and you could probably achieve it without the need for adding a special item either. Just add the nails to a chiseled piece to fuse it into one item, with the drawback that it can't be further altered with chiseling and has a maximum size limit(perhaps 3 tall by 5 wide). That should cover most types of furniture, without paving the way for too many exploits, although I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Matero said:

This brings me to the second idea, a more realistic inventory where the weight and quantity of things are a little more in line with reality, without being tedious but less arcade-like.
Your rules could be:
-Weights
-Quantities
-Volume of the object

>Stack reduction
>Total weight limit
>Tetris style inventory

Like this mod? https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/2002

Maybe for a hardcore mode, but I think the current inventory system is fine for standard gameplay. Early game, you're limited in what you can carry with you, because you don't have many slots. The leather backpacks are the current best option overall, as they have the most slots for a general bag and will allow you to carry quite a lot. Mining bags have more slots than a leather backpack, but can only hold items related to mining. The glider only has two slots of inventory available, but allows you to potentially mitigate deadly falls while offering an interesting travel option. So while the leather backpacks are a good choice, they're not always the best choice depending on what you want to do, and Vintage Story's more limited stack size in some cases will also affect how you accomplish certain tasks(such as potentially needing to make a separate trip to loot a ruin, should you find one while mining).

Weight Limit: The main issue I see here is that it sounds fun in theory, until you try to go on a mining expedition, logging trip, ruin looting, or do any kind of serious building. You could use a handcart to haul more at once, but you're still going to need to make multiple trips to load the cart, and each trip you have to make is time that could have been spent doing other things. That could get very tedious very quickly.

Smaller Stack Size: Poses a similar issue to the weight limit. The less you can carry at once, the more time you'll have to spend running back and forth to accomplish certain things.

Tetris Style Inventory: Still poses the same issue as the prior two options, except in this case it's harder to balance how many slots an item/stack uses, and how believable it is compared to other items/stacks.

In short, I don't think it's a bad idea for an ultra-hardcore mode/option, as players who select that mode will know what they're signing up for. I don't think it's a good change for the default game mode, as requiring more time for a task doesn't always equate to the task being more fun to do or rewarding when finished. There's a reason many videogames don't have super realistic limits when it comes to character inventory, after all.

• Like 2

Realistic weight is somewhat problematic because dry sand comes in at around 1.5 TONS per block. Not per stack, per block. So realistically, a human would have to make 20-ish trips to haul a single block. While that might appeal to those of us who prefer to encourage use of local building materials and realistically-sized building projects, that would be a major turn-off for most people.

Fate had the shaped inventory system. So did Diablo. I don't necessarily hate it, but I don't think it really works in a game like this. If, for example, felling trees resulted in logs rather than chunks of wood, maybe, but that's a major overhaul, one that I think most people would not like. Though that makes it a much better idea to build local worksites -- charcoal pits near the forests, smelting and smithing near the mines, clayforming and firing near the clay deposits (I can see carrying a few dozen bowls back home in a suitable pack, but not 30+ tons of clay), etc.

• Like 1

Thank you both for reading me, I'm glad you're interested 😃 !

LadyWYT
Yes it's true, I agree that it should be optional, increasing the difficulty, I like that idea, and also the fact of integrating solutions like wheelbarrows or now that the "cargo" ship will be added, creating maritime routes, or things like that.

Thorfinn
What I meant is not to make it to the point of tedium, so realistic, but less arcade like Minecraft for example. And what do you think about the first proposal? It's interesting to know everyone's vision

Greetings fellow adventurers!

19 minutes ago, Matero said:

And what do you think about the first proposal?

I'm not really the one to ask. Sounds fine to me, but I don't build furniture or do chiseling anyway. It's just a facet of the game that the engineer part of me doesn't enjoy. If it has no measurable game effect, it doesn't matter.

36 minutes ago, Matero said:

also the fact of integrating solutions like wheelbarrows or now that the "cargo" ship will be added, creating maritime routes, or things like that.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this is the route to go for more interesting inventory management(in addition to adding other types of specialized bags, similar to the mining bag). A minecart would require the player to build some infrastructure to support it, and might only be able to hold mining-related goods or humanoids, but would give players the incentive to spend more time in the mines digging for stone/ore since they can now haul more out in one trip. A handcart(which I think already exists in the game) incentivizes players to spend more time chopping trees or collecting other materials, as it allows them to transport large quantities of goods more easily. An animal cart could operate like the handcart, with the added advantage of being a bit faster and carrying even more.

More specialized bags give the player more options for how to handle their personal inventory. A hunter's pack might keep raw animal products fresh for longer, which would make it ideal to bring on long hunting trips. Equipping all four slots with the same specialized bag would give you a huge advantage in completing the related task, but would put you at a major disadvantage trying to complete unrelated tasks should you keep them equipped. General-purpose bags(like the leather backpacks) work the best for multi-tasking, but aren't necessarily the most efficient option a player could pick due to having fewer slots than a specialized bag.

On 7/27/2024 at 9:11 AM, Matero said:

Your rules could be:
-Weights
-Quantities
-Volume of the object

>Stack reduction
>Total weight limit

More realistic inventory.   Well, let's see here...

1 cubic meter of dirt (one block of dirt) weighs approximately 1 ton.  Given that a human can carry roughly 250 pounds for a short distance and going with the MORE realistic (rather than very realistic like others have proposed).  We'll assume that seraphs are superhuman instead of supernatural and increase their strength and endurance to an incredible degree but end up with...

How many times do you want to run back and forth to carry just ONE BLOCK of high fertility soil to prepare that field for farming? Mind you carrying one block at a time is exceedingly unrealistic for a human but we'll assume it's feasible for a seraph.  The bulk of a stack of sticks capable of being an axe handle is similarly not feasible, but seraphs are capable of carrying a could dozen stacks of this?

The point being, that being anywhere in the universe of realistic of some things in game makes the game unfun to the point of unplayable.

I guess I still don't know what "less arcade" means.

I get that you want to limit quantities. Possibly by making only certain things stack? Not only that, but items take up more inventory space? So, presumably, the hand basket now gives, say, 12 inventory spaces instead of 3? And if a spear were a 3x1, you could carry 4 in that hypothetical handbasket, though one or more might have to be rotated 90 degrees, depending on the shape of the basket? If, for instance, it is 2x6, none of the spears would fit without being rotated? If you walk over them to pick them up, they presumably do not auto-rotate, so you have to fiddle with it? Every time? In the middle of a temporal storm?

Genuinely curious. Have you spent much time in the game yet? Enough to understand just how many blocks even a moderate-sized structure takes? Even a farm? I am by no means a builder, but even I'm going through several dozen stacks of 64. Usually 10-12 stacks just for my farms.

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.