Is this intended behaviour?

Semni Istiqlal

It's always a bit of a let-down when games that focus on survival just have the predators attack you on sight. It's unrealistic, perpetuates harmful steriotypes and honestly doesn't make for interesting gameplay.

I may be overlooking something important but so far there doesn't appear to be a particuarily effective way of dealing with them. Bears are at least somewhat easy to spot and avoid, but in anything but the most open steppe, wolves reliably spot me before I spot them. Fighting them isn't an option and nothing seems to scare them off. Running is just a good way of dying tired.

It's really put a damper on an otherwise rather interesting game.

Welcome to the forums! I think the animal behavior is still being fine-tuned, so we may see some better options for either scaring certain dangerous animals away or otherwise having them give a better warning to back off before they attack you. There could also be some sort of item added that serves to deter animal attacks, though it's hard to say for certain. I doubt there will be a way to curb the aggression entirely outside of setting animal AI to neutral, given that there may be a lore reason for the animals to be so aggressive towards the player.

Aside from that, there's usually a mod or two that can help fine-tune some of the animal/monster behaviors, if the standard game settings don't quite cover what you're looking for.

Personally, I just go with running because drops from wolves are pretty much useless. Sure, fat maybe, but why not take on a much less dangerous pig and get decent meat, too? If you are having problems seeing them, I can't help you much. Just know that with time you get better at spotting them And once you learn to spot them, spears outrange their aggro distance, so you can kill them off in complete safety.

I wondered about fire, but torches in the off-hand are available way too early it were at all effective. I understand that with a shield, improvised armor and club they are easy. But I don't know that for a fact. Like I said, I always go with running. It burns through the food faster, so I can boost my HP quicker. 

And, yes, welcome to the forums!

Edited by Thorfinn

On 8/26/2024 at 11:29 AM, Semni Istiqlal said:

It's really put a damper on an otherwise rather interesting game.

Be aware of:

1. This game is in early access
2. There is 1 person coding the game with some part-time help from time to time
3. The developer has recently estimated the game to be about 10% complete

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.