Allow explicitly setting spawn latitude

MazorNoob

Right now we can only choose from a predetermined list of starting climates, and none of the options are "exactly at the equator". It's impossible to create a world that's symmetrical and ends with a north pole and a south pole, and that infuriates me.

I'm indifferent to the suggestion itself. Sure, why not?

I'm somewhat curious, or maybe even a little concerned that one might be infuriated by that limitation. In a game. A game which lets you move your spawn point. To the exact equator, or, probably within 1/2 block of the "true" equator. Though the world itself is not a sphere, anyway. It's a cylinder. Or maybe just a plane. I've never gone all the way east. I have no idea if it wraps around or not.

Do you mind if I ask why it makes a difference? "Exactly at the equator" instead of "in the equatorial zone"?

Edited by Thorfinn

id settle for the ability to spawn as close to or as near sea level as possible, a few too many times when me and my friend make new worlds our spawns are on top of mountains which imo sucks alot of the fun out of the first 5 minutes of every new game

I want to make a server with a fixed size map of 50k x 50k so that there's an upper limit to how far people bolt off to play singleplayer on a multiplayer server. I want it to be earth-y so poles plus equator, the usual "cold north edge, hot south edge" map got boring. Without explicitly setting latitude of the middle point, I can't. It's either no glaciers down south or looking at the "other side" of the pole up north.

On 8/31/2024 at 11:48 PM, Deaderpan said:

id settle for the ability to spawn as close to or as near sea level as possible, a few too many times when me and my friend make new worlds our spawns are on top of mountains which imo sucks alot of the fun out of the first 5 minutes of every new game

having recently spawned on the side of a sheer cliff with a precarious jumping route out yes

Those are a mixed bag. You get recon of a pretty good sized area, sometimes a huge area, for free. You might see a great location for a base in the first few seconds of the game. Then the parkour aspect, which may not be your thing. It's going to be a real pain to get back to your spawn point, assuming you had a reason to want to. And from time to time, the "only" way down is to the feet of a brown bear.

Personally, I love that kind of start. I have nothing more invested in it at that point than clicking on "Create New World" and waiting a minute. I know right away whether the at least 400 block radius semi-circle has the kind of terrain I might find fun, and where things like bees, crops and maybe other resources might lie. Much better than a spawn surrounded by trees that you can't see more than a few blocks ahead. And worst case, jump, rage quit and create new game is pretty quick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.