Farming; What am I Doing Wrong?

PhotriusPyrelus

This is my farm.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  I water it by hand with the watering can because I just don't like it looking like a swamp with water everywhere.
2021-10-09_14-50-39.thumb.png.e2f03b8928fe26264fa349cedd58bde7.png
What I don't understand is why all the fallow land is losing nutrients.  Indeed, you can even see a few spots have down-graded from "medium fertility" to "low fertility".  I thought fallow land was meant to GAIN nutrients!

EDIT:  Also, how do I get more seeds?  Just have to luck out and find more plants (or seed pot) around?

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

On 10/9/2021 at 5:56 PM, Philtre said:

Regarding seeds: harvesting crops gives you a very, very low chance of an extra seed. You mainly have to find more wild plants.

One tile of water should hydrate a 7x7 square of farmland, so you can have your farm self-water without having to make it *that* swampy.

Pretty sure it is a 5% chance for an extra seed to drop. Also the falloff of moisture from a water block is 25% per block so you will get pretty different growth rates.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:58 PM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

What I don't understand is why all the fallow land is losing nutrients.  Indeed, you can even see a few spots have down-graded from "medium fertility" to "low fertility".  I thought fallow land was meant to GAIN nutrients!

Your farmland is drying up. Water it again to replenish the nutrients you are losing. As far as I know there is no way for a farm tile to actually drop soil levels (medium to low, etc.), and you can always get the tile back to its max nutrients.

Fallow tiles will still lose moisture even without a plant on it. I don't know how much or if you are watering your fallow tiles, but they are dropping in moisture and turning into dry farmland (the "low fertility" look you see). This will dock the effectiveness of the tile, but rewatering the tile enough will make it moist again and bring its effectiveness back up to normal.

Edited by Ender Riens

34 minutes ago, Ender Riens said:

Your farmland is drying up. Water it again to replenish the nutrients you are losing. As far as I know there is no way for a farm tile to actually drop soil levels (medium to low, etc.), and you can always get the tile back to its max nutrients.

Fallow tiles will still lose moisture even without a plant on it. I don't know how much or if you are watering your fallow tiles, but they are dropping in moisture and turning into dry farmland (the "low fertility" look you see). This will dock the effectiveness of the tile, but rewatering the tile enough will make it moist again and bring its effectiveness back up to normal.

Yeah.  I was actually looking at the "growth speed", not the nutrients themselves.  The nutrients stay regardless of moisture.  Growth speed, however, incorporates it.  I probably should've deleted the thread 15 minutes after I posted it when I realized this and just asked my seed question in a new thread.  x_x

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.